Leaving for the summer? Please remember to close your shutters, turn off the main water supply to your unit, and set the temperature to 76 degrees to prevent mold. If you are leaving a vehicle in the parking garage, please leave a set of keys on your kitchen counter for emergency purposes.
For those residents staying for the summer, it's important to begin your hurricane preparation sooner, rather than later, when everyone is buying last minute supplies and fuel. As you may be aware, the Town of South Palm beach is in a mandatory evacuation zone if a hurricane warning is issued. The Palm Beach County Evacuation Centers is a great source for locating the nearest shelters if you have special needs, or if you don't have a friend's house to stay in during the evacuation period.
IMPORTANT ACTION ITEMS
Critical Supply Checklist
- Water - at least 1 gallon daily per person for 3 to 7 days
- Food - at least enough for 3 to 7 day
- non-perishable packaged or canned food / juices
- foods for infants or the elderly
- snack foods
- non-electric can opener
- cooking tools / fuel
- paper plates / plastic utensils
- Blankets / Pillows, etc.
- Clothing - seasonal / rain gear/ sturdy shoes
- First Aid Kit / Medicines / Prescription Drugs
- Special Items - for babies and the elderly
- Toiletries / Hygiene items / Moisture wipes
- Flashlight / Batteries
- Radio - Battery operated and NOAA weather radio
- Telephones - Fully charged cell phone with extra battery and a traditional (not cordless) telephone set
- Cash (with some small bills) and Credit Cards - Banks and ATMs may not be available for extended periods
- Toys, Books and Games
- Important documents - in a waterproof container or watertight resealable plastic bag insurance, medical records, bank account numbers, Social Security card, etc.
- Tools - keep a set with you during the storm
- Vehicle fuel tanks filled
Please visit the National Hurricane Center link for the latest information:
Should you have any further questions please feel free to contact the town at 561-588-8889.